The Roadmap on carcinogens has drafted a few essential rules that apply whenever carcinogenic substances are used in any workplace. Let’s give you a heads up of the most important rules to live (and work!) by:
- Make sure to wash yourself after working with chemicals and carcinogens, pay special attention to hands and face, and shower after work.
- Also, do not eat drink or smoke before you’ve washed your hands after work or during a break. And leave your work clothes at work, to prevent taking chemicals to your home.
- Make sure the workplace is tidy and clean, that there are wash-up facilities for employees, and provide the right type of ventilation for your product and environment.
- Explore if there are alternatives to using carcinogenic substances, and how secure and limited carcinogenic processes are in your company.
- Provide the right type of equipment, professional clothing, and make sure your personnel is trained to follow procedures regarding carcinogen handling.
- Keep an eye on your employees and whether or not their health can be comprised.
- Be particularly aware of vulnerable employees, e.g., workers with other conditions, or pregnant women, and workers with different tasks who might still be exposed such as cleaning personnel.